Berlin, Germany, Wednesday 2nd November 2022: Today, Y42, the developer of the first Modern DataOps Cloud, announces a global relaunch of their entire product, as well as the hire of a President and SVP of Marketing to guide the company towards reimagining how businesses manage their data. Running on top of Snowflake and Big Query, Y42 is the only solution that effectively leverages software engineering and product management best practices simultaneously - adapted for the data world - allowing data teams to be productive quickly and save on resources.
Y42 launched in 2020 offering a no-code approach for building and managing data pipelines. The next evolution of the product has been built to address the core problems businesses face around data, including accessibility, lack of governance and collaboration challenges - all of which jeopardise critical decision making and efficiency. Today, Y42 introduces the first Modern DataOps Cloud to overcome these exact issues. A series of advanced technical capabilities, based on software and product management best practices, such as anomaly detection, data contracts, and collaboration features, to name a few, are now baked into every step of the pipeline.
CEO and Founder, Hung Dang comments: "The use case for data has moved beyond ad-hoc reporting into the very lifeblood of a company. However ,data pipelines built ad-hoc are inherently brittle and inevitably break over time, leading to an overflow of fire-fighting requests and, ultimately, mistrust in business data. For organisations that rely on data to make mission-critical decisions, data issues can be fatal. Our vision is for every organisation – whether it has one single data engineer, data analyst, or a whole data team – to be able to deploy production-ready data pipelines efficiently and consume data in any downstream application to make better business decisions. The Y42 Modern DataOps Cloud makes this vision a reality - today."
Product overview and new features
The Y42 Modern DataOps Cloud runs on top of Snowflake and BigQuery, acting as the mission-control centre for an organisation's data pipelines on top of their cloud data warehouse. Key features include:
Increased accessibility to data (infrastructure/tooling)
- Fully managed data stack: We run the best-of-breed data tools for our users, without the need to set up and maintain them individually. These tools include, amongst others, Airbyte for integrations, dbt core for transformations and Cube Dev for headless BI.
- API & CLI: Access this stack through our UI or by leveraging the accessibility of our fully programmable pipelines through APIs, CLI, and webhooks
Better governance and control within organisations:
- Access Control: Role-based multi-level access allows organisations to have full internal and external control of every data asset across the entire data pipeline
- Asset Ownership: A system of ownership for better change management and accountability
- Data Contracts: Enforce semantic and relationship standards between data tables
- Observability & Monitoring: Complete observability,monitoring and high-quality of the whole data pipeline through anomaly detection, tests ,and alerts and column-level data lineage that helps visualise the flow of data across the entire pipeline, helping to identify the root causes of performance and quality issues more quickly
Facilitating better collaboration between teams
- Version Control: The world's first Git engine that works with local changes in the browser and on the local machine
- Modular Canvas: Commenting function as well as sticky notes, text, and drawing capabilities available across the Modern DataOps Cloud
- Data Catalogue: Enables users to quickly discover data assets, definitions, and metrics
Announcement of strategic new hires to drive Y42's growth
Y42 is also announcing that Jules Cantwell will join the company as its new President, leading the go-to-market (GTM) function alongside Max Herrmann, who will join as the new Senior Vice President of Marketing.
Cantwell has spent more than twenty years in the technology space, gaining extensive experience at category-leading companies such as Accenture, Microsoft, Salesforce, and Qualtrics. As former chief operating officer of Qualtrics EMEA, Cantwell brings a particular edge for defining growth and improvement strategies, which will expand Y42's market presence even further.
"The tech industry is at a tipping point where the breadth and volume of data that companies are gathering is rapidly outpacing their ability to manage it effectively. The need for a Modern DataOps Cloud to manage data pipelines in a scalable manner has become mission-critical", said Cantwell. "Y42 has the product vision, customer proof points and passionate team to truly transform the data management space. Joining Y42 is the perfect opportunity to turn a fast-growing start-up into a category-defining generational company."
Herrmann has over twenty years of experience working for Silicon Valley companies and over ten years working in data infrastructure. As the former chief marketing officer of Cask, the provider of a data integration platform acquired by Google (now Google Cloud Data Fusion), Herrmann acquired extensive product marketing, go-to-market strategy, demand generation, and corporate marketing expertise which will enhance Y42's marketing team.
Y42 is backed by investors including Atomico, La Famiglia, Insight Partners, Data Community Fund and Business Angels such as Ignaz Forstmeier, Jonas Rieke & Oliver (Personio) and Tobias Schüle, Philipp Schrempp (Foodspring). The company raised $31 million in Series A funding in October 2021 and customers include PetLabs, University of Cambridge and Entrepreneur First.
Y42 makes it easy for organisations to arrive at better decisions with high-quality and reliable data. We do this by letting companies access a fully-managed environment to build production-ready, end-to-end data pipelines through Y42's Modern DataOps Cloud, which natively integrates best-of-breed tools from the modern data stack on top of the customer's cloud data warehouse. Due to this native integration within one system, Y42 customers also benefit from collaboration and data governance best practices offered on a scale unseen until now. That is why we believe in a future where every organization - whether it has one single data engineer or data analyst, or a whole data team - is able to deploy production-grade data pipelines efficiently and consume data in any downstream application to make better decisions.
Y42 has been adopted by hundreds of customers across the globe — from rapidly growing startups to modern enterprises — and serves them from the company's headquarters in Berlin (Germany) and its offices in New York City (USA), Tirana (Albania), and Ho-Chi-Minh City (Vietnam).