How Open Source Helps Bring Back Product Obsession
Sep 2, 2020
Did you know that one of the Sauce Labs co-founders created Selenium and that Appium was incubated in Sauce Labs? Open source is in our DNA!
When a company relies heavily on open source, it is a common practice to develop strategies and long term goals to manage the relationship between the company’s products and the open source ecosystem. We created the Open Source Program Office to:
- Make sure the important open source projects for Sauce are in a healthy state
- Motivate all Sauce Labs employees to consume and contribute to OSS in a simple, secure and healthy way
- Facilitate communication between product and the open source ecosystem
- Bring developers closer to the community to enable innovation and product obsession
- Shape and build important standards for Sauce Labs, such as WebDriver, in collaboration with other open source groups
This talk will show how we are doing all this in small steps, planning for the long run and involving all teams to increase the sense of belonging of OSS. And more importantly, it will show why having an open source strategy matters, and how can this benefit everyone in the long term.
- Why Sauce Labs created the Open Source Program Office, current projects and vision for the future
- Why having a healthy open source ecosystem matters and how that can help your organization down the road
- How open source can motivate teams to develop a product obsession